Monday, August 2, 2010

DIY Sachets

Do you ever feel like Trader Joe’s can read your mind? I feel like they always have just what I want (and a few other things I didn’t even know I wanted!). Case in point: I have been wanting to make my own sachets with dried lavender and so of course when I walk into Trader Joe’s last night there is a basket with bunches of dried lavender and a little notecard that read “Make your own sachets.” So nice to have a grocery store that can grant your every wish!


I just love the smell of lavender- it always makes me feel more relaxed.
Anyway, here’s what I did to make really simple sachets (fragrant things that go in clothes drawers that I don’t know how to pronounce):
1. Pull the lavender of the branches. I cut off the branches one-by-one and collected the lavender buds in a container.


2. Cut squares out of old fabric. Be sure to use a breathable fabric such as cotton. You can even use things such as old pajama bottoms that have perhaps ripped down the backside (I wouldn’t know anything about that).




The cutting doesn’t have to be straight because you’re just going to gather into a pouch.

3. Place a bit of lavender on each square.

4. Gather into a pouch and tie a ribbon or piece of yarn around the top. You can twist the fabric a bit to make sure the lavender stays inside. And you’re done!

I made a few smaller ones first and then increased the size a bit.



These would make great presents and you can add a little sprig of lavender in the bow if you’re giving as a gift:

Another variation, if you have more time, would be to sew the squares shut. Or, you could add other dried herbs – I want to try rosemary or mint. You can also make an eye pillow with the left-over dried lavender by combining it with rice or wheat berries for some weight. I have a homemade eye pillow that my sister gave me for christmas one year that I use every night. It still smells like lavender, and the scent, combined with the weight on my eyes, always helps me relax and fall asleep.
If you have left over lavender sprigs, display them in a vase:

No comments:

Post a Comment